• Far Beyond My Capacity
  • Far Beyond My Capacity
  • Far Beyond My Capacity
  • Far Beyond My Capacity
  • Far Beyond My Capacity
  • Far Beyond My Capacity
  • Far Beyond My Capacity
  • Far Beyond My Capacity
  • Far Beyond My Capacity
  • Far Beyond My Capacity
  • Far Beyond My Capacity
  • Far Beyond My Capacity
  • Far Beyond My Capacity
  • Far Beyond My Capacity
  • Far Beyond My Capacity
  • Far Beyond My Capacity
  • Far Beyond My Capacity
  • Far Beyond My Capacity

Thursday, April 03, 2014

Troy - Fall of Kings by David Gemmell

Leave a Comment
Fall of Kings (Troy, #3)Fall of Kings by David Gemmell
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

The final part of Davd Gemmell's Troy trilogy is a tour-de-force that takes everything good about the series so far and improves on it. Sadly published after his early death, the book was completed by his wife Stella, but it is impossible to see the joins, so well does she write with his voice.

The story continues the epic retelling of the Troy saga, bringing us to the conclusion we know from the original Iliad and Odyssey. It ties up all the different threads from the earlier books well, brining each character to a satisfying conclusion and telling a story that almost everyone knows in a new and exciting way.

The re-imagining of the duel between Hektor and Achilles is a highpoint, with a brilliant twist, and the famous Trojan Horse strategy is also told with a fresh new twist (though it was pretty easy to guess how Gemmell would handle it).

Towards the end of the novel the politics, romance and plot give way to the action, but the resolution makes sense both in terms of the legend and in terms of Gemmell's more realistic take on things, and it offers a satisfying emotional end.

It's a shame Gemmell passed at such an early age, because this is his best book. His writing was more fluent than ever.

View all my reviews

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...