• Far Beyond My Capacity
  • Far Beyond My Capacity
  • Far Beyond My Capacity
  • Far Beyond My Capacity
  • Far Beyond My Capacity
  • Far Beyond My Capacity
  • Far Beyond My Capacity
  • Far Beyond My Capacity
  • Far Beyond My Capacity
  • Far Beyond My Capacity
  • Far Beyond My Capacity
  • Far Beyond My Capacity
  • Far Beyond My Capacity
  • Far Beyond My Capacity
  • Far Beyond My Capacity
  • Far Beyond My Capacity
  • Far Beyond My Capacity
  • Far Beyond My Capacity

Saturday, July 20, 2013

You Only Die Twice

Leave a Comment
Issue 7 of The Secret World doesn't really do what it says on the tin. It has been heavily marketed as a James Bond-esque action adventure, and whilst parts of it do indeed pay homage to the adventures of Britain's favourite misogynist spy, it is so dark, twisted, and horrific that it would give Daniel Craig nightmares for years to come. Pretty much like most TSW story lines then!


It is also one of the most imaginative, absorbing and fun quest lines in any MMO, continuing the trend of solid, entertaining and high quality content that the TSW team are pumping out. It's probably my favourite issue so far.

It starts out pretty much like any TSW quest. A mysterious beast has been encountered in Transylvania, one so powerful that even the local werewolf tribes are suffering at it's hands. Investigating the creature leads you down a very dark path involving the Orochi and their continuing experiments on young children.

Along the way I found myself meeting an old acquaintance that supplied me with the new auxiliary weapon (the flamethrower is an awful lot of fun to use), met a beautiful and mysterious Russian agent, base-jumped off an exploding bridge and took part in a breakneck race across the Carpathian Mountains on a snow-mobile, machine-gunning Orochi agents as I raced around. I found the snow-mobile sequence in particular to be a lot of fun and very well executed.

It wasn't long after this however that things turned very dark as I was sent to explore The Nursery, an Orochi research station containing some very twisted secrets. What I wasn't expecting was such a major story reveal that really answered a lot of questions about the game's main storyline and gave a great tease for the new upcoming Tokyo zone.


I should also mention the superbly creepy music used in this issue, which was apparently created by a player as part of a community competition earlier this year. It really fit the dark storyline and even played nicely into the plot.

The quality of this Issue raises the bar yet again for story content in MMOs. It's just a shame that more people aren't playing The Secret World, otherwise we could have such great, meaty content more often (it's currently 25% off on Steam, so go grab it!).

Here are some more screenshots from my time in Issue 7.











0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...