The zone looks great, unlike anything else in the game and quite different to the other Transylvania zones. It's beautiful mountainous scenery and forests contrast harshly with the old soviet bunkers and factories that line the northern parts of the area, whilst Dracula's castle overlooks the entire region from it's perch.
The abandoned village in the centre of the region is testament to the horrors that have been unleashed since the arrival of Mara's army, and exploring the ancient Roman baths and old temples was great fun. Many of the areas in the zone are full of nightmare mobs, and it is another step up in difficulty compared to the other zones.
The quests in the area can be real tough. The Castle is by far the hardest sabotage quest I have come across and it took me around three hours to complete. Now I know the route and what to do I'm definitely going to try it again.
The main storyline comes to it's conclusion (kind of) in the Carpathian Fangs. The final battle with Mara was a slight anti-climax, though it was obvious by then that she isn't the main enemy anyway. The ending in the dream prison and the Gaia Engines was really trippy, and I'd love to see some of the alternate endings based on accepting the gifts.
I can't wait for the free Tokyo expansion that is coming early next year. That will contain the final resolution to the storyline and kick off a completely new one.
Emma Smith was an interesting new character. She'd been foreshadowed in the Virgula Divina mission, which just goes to show how intricate the plotting in this game is. I'd love to know what happened to her at the end and hope I'll get the chance to meet her again
Finishing the main storyline also netted me a couple of new outfits. I especially like Crowley's Glad Rags, which mean I can really rock the John Constantine look now.
As well as finishing up in the Carpathian Fangs I've also managed to run through most of the new Issue 4 content. The new missions were uniformly great. I especially enjoyed exploring the secret Roman ruins under London in the new Investigation mission.
Callisto's new Investigation mission in the Carpathian Fangs was also a real challenge. The Investigation missions continue to show so much imagination in their design that they make all other MMO quests pale in comparison. Trying to get the correct constellation to light up in the pool at the end was like nothing I've done in an MMO before.
I also managed to get my new chainsaw weapon, along with the Leatherface mask for completing the new missions. It's decidedly icky!
|The Carpathian Chainsaw Massacre|
So, where does that leave me and what do I plan to do next in the game. Well there is a whole lot I want to do, I'm just not sure what to do first! Anyway, here is my "shopping list" of things I want to get done, in no particular order.
- Fill out my skill wheel some more so that I can finalise and hone some of my builds, especially my tanking deck for elite dungeons.
- Build up more ranged skills and play with the new reticle targeting system.
- Start running the elite mode dungeons so I can start to collect blue gear.
- Finish the Monster Hunter achievement (killing all the rare boss mobs in the game)
- Start playing with the new Albion Theatre system. I need to collect some of the remaining theatrical packs and would eventually like to put on a play with my cabal.
- Collect the remaining pieces of lore that I have not yet managed to find.
- Start playing some PvP.
- Join my cabal on more Lair hunts.
- Run some more signet missions for AP and signets for my equipment. I still need to go through all my equipment and get the best glyphs and signets sorted.