• Far Beyond My Capacity
  • Far Beyond My Capacity
  • Far Beyond My Capacity
  • Far Beyond My Capacity
  • Far Beyond My Capacity
  • Far Beyond My Capacity
  • Far Beyond My Capacity
  • Far Beyond My Capacity
  • Far Beyond My Capacity
  • Far Beyond My Capacity
  • Far Beyond My Capacity
  • Far Beyond My Capacity
  • Far Beyond My Capacity
  • Far Beyond My Capacity
  • Far Beyond My Capacity
  • Far Beyond My Capacity
  • Far Beyond My Capacity
  • Far Beyond My Capacity

Thursday, October 11, 2012

Issue #4 Just Sounds Better and Better

Leave a Comment
Joel Bylos, Game Director for The Secret World, has expanded on the state of the game letter he released yesterday in a great interview with mmorpg.com. He's gone into a bit more detail about the new content, specifically the new reticle combat system and the new Albion theatre for roleplayers, and both sound even better than I first imagined...

On the Albion theatre Joel had the following to say.
Players rent the stage, and then they are given stage access for 1 hr. During this time they have access to the stage and backstage areas of the Albion. Backstage players will find the "Stage Manager" tablet, which allows them to control lighting and effects. The tablet is an item that you can take with you off the stage, so it allows someone to sit in the audience and completely control the ambience and settings.

In addition the tablet allows the stage manager to control backdrops and weather - you can make it snow and rain on the stage as well as setting different backdrops (which are unlocked via various activities in the world) and they also control the opening and closing of the front stage curtains.

For the actual actors - you can control the props and placement on the stage. You can lock and unlock the stage, which will change the way that certain props work. For example, when the stage is unlocked, a chair prop can be placed facing in a certain direction. When the stage is locked, using the chair will allow your character to sit on it.

In addition there are a series of useful "effect" items that players can use. These are basically non-lethal spells which allow players to do different effects on each other, without doing any damage. My personal favorite is the "fake death" effect, which allows you to perform a dramatic death move.
Expanding on the new reticle combat system Joel revealed:
Basically the player can switch targeting modes using T (remappable of course) and the camera will switch to a 3rd person over the shoulder camera, and a reticule will appear in the middle of the screen. Players can control the placement of the camera by zooming in or out while in the regular mode - once they push T they are locked into the distance that they chose.

While in reticule targeting mode, hovering the reticule over a target will select that object/person/monster as your active target. You fire off abilities as normal, but if you don't aim at the target, you will clear the target.
What I like about these details is that the new systems don't seem to be simple, quick content drops. The theatre is an actual game system which gives the players a lot of control, rather than just providing roleplayers with a space to play in. The reticle system seems to be more though out than just mouse-aiming.

Head on over to mmorpg.com to read the full interview, which also includes more detailed information on the new raid, the new chainsaw weapon, and where Dr Aldini obtains the faces he uses in his plastic surgery (I'm really glad I haven't visited there for a face change now!).

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...