• Far Beyond My Capacity
  • Far Beyond My Capacity
  • Far Beyond My Capacity
  • Far Beyond My Capacity
  • Far Beyond My Capacity
  • Far Beyond My Capacity
  • Far Beyond My Capacity
  • Far Beyond My Capacity
  • Far Beyond My Capacity
  • Far Beyond My Capacity
  • Far Beyond My Capacity
  • Far Beyond My Capacity
  • Far Beyond My Capacity
  • Far Beyond My Capacity
  • Far Beyond My Capacity
  • Far Beyond My Capacity
  • Far Beyond My Capacity
  • Far Beyond My Capacity

Monday, October 01, 2012

Good News for The Secret World at Last?

Leave a Comment
Oceanicgamer.com have a great new podcast up with new lead game designer of The Secret World, Joel Bylos up here. As I've mentioned before I've always found Joel to be refreshingly honest (sometimes too honest!) and he continues that trend here. He addresses all of the recent issues openly, admitting where Funcom and the developers made mistakes and offering some insight into how they will be addressing them.

Time to start believing again?

Joel also revealed that the game's userbase is increasing, and that the company have already started to rehire some of the staff they had to let go a couple of months ago.

  • There were some really interesting bits of information in the podcast, including:
  • Issue 4 will see the New York raid
  • Issue 4 will also see the second auxiliary weapon (and Joel dropped hints that it may be a chainsaw)
  • The Halloween event is not your typical MMO holiday event, and will involve digging into old Irish lore
  • "Puzzle raids" are being developed - like Investigation missions for groups
  • Issue 4 will include new starter decks based on the inner circle of the ability wheel
  • Future content will not be based on gear progression (they see QL10 remaining the highest quality level), but rather on horizontal forms of progression
  • There will be big changes to the trial system to encourage more new players, and an announcement will be forthcoming in a couple of weeks
  • Funcom will be doing wider marketing of the game
  • Joel discussed the difficulty of the game and admitted that Kingsmouth and The Savage Coast were, if anything, too easy, so that the step up to Blue Mountain was too severe for some

As well as all that Joel revealed a lot about is background, some of the hidden rules in the game's development "bible" (e.g. you cannot kill any normal human NPCs in the game), how tight the TSW dev team is with the Trion Rift dev team, lessons learned from Age of Conan, what other developers think of the game, and why Norwegians can't hold their drink!

It's great to hear such an optimistic future for the game after all the recent problems, and that Funcom are looking to retain and expand on what makes the game so special.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...