• Far Beyond My Capacity
  • Far Beyond My Capacity
  • Far Beyond My Capacity
  • Far Beyond My Capacity
  • Far Beyond My Capacity
  • Far Beyond My Capacity
  • Far Beyond My Capacity
  • Far Beyond My Capacity
  • Far Beyond My Capacity
  • Far Beyond My Capacity
  • Far Beyond My Capacity
  • Far Beyond My Capacity
  • Far Beyond My Capacity
  • Far Beyond My Capacity
  • Far Beyond My Capacity
  • Far Beyond My Capacity
  • Far Beyond My Capacity
  • Far Beyond My Capacity

Saturday, June 30, 2012

Meet Nathaniel Vinculus Hawksmoor

Leave a Comment
So, here he is, my main character for The Secret World. Nathaniel Hawksmoor, called Nat by his friends, or "Vinculus" by less generous associates, he's a new member of The Templars. I'll be describing his adventures as he journeys into the mysteries of The Secret World, but for now he is just a chancer with a few tricks up his sleeve looking for answers.

Hi, I'm Nat.

I picked the nickname "Vinculus" from Susanna Clarke's brilliant alternative history novel "Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell" which tells the tale of the restoration of English magic through the 19th Century. I liked the sound of the name, and I found the character interesting, and it also means "bond" or "chain" in Latin, which I'll probably tie into his backstory somehow.

I'm playing on the Arcadia roleplay dimension, and will be keeping an eye out for a guild. I have a couple in mind already, but want to wait a little to see how things pan out. If you know of any decent EU-timezone guilds on the server who are light-to-medium RP and understand that family commitments may effect my play times then let me know!

Nat doesn't have a class as such - the game doesn't have classes. Eventually he should be able to fulfil any role in a group. However, I have decided initially to concentrate on building a deck focussed on a tanking/debuffing role. From that I'll add in some dps, then build a total dps deck, then throw in some healing.

When looking to build a tanking deck to start with I needed to decide which weapons to choose to start putting skill points into. The Blades, Hammers and Chaos Magic weapons all have good tanking aspects (they concentrate on evade/block/health/taunt etc), and any combination of those has some synergy in the Combat States they can inflict. It was a tough decision, but in the end I decided to start out concentrating on Hammers and Blades. Even though there are fewer synergies than between Chaos and Hammers at the end of the day you can only pick 7 active and 7 passive abilities at any one time, and I'll concentrate on Impairment effects which is the shared synergy.

P Milligan, Horrorist? Is somebody on the dev team a comic book fan?
I picked Hammers and Blades for a few reasons.  First of all it gives me a couple of options in groups; I can potentially melee tank or I can be a debuffer. Second, I think it's going to be an unusual choice. Finally it plays into the Witch Hunter deck, which has a great costume and plays nicely into the RP backstory I'm currently writing for my character.

So, Nathaniel "Vinculus" Hawksmoor is about to step into a much darker and more mysterious world. I'll be writing about his experiences in Kingsmouth soon, as well as writing up some RP background for him.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...