• Far Beyond My Capacity
  • Far Beyond My Capacity
  • Far Beyond My Capacity
  • Far Beyond My Capacity
  • Far Beyond My Capacity
  • Far Beyond My Capacity
  • Far Beyond My Capacity
  • Far Beyond My Capacity
  • Far Beyond My Capacity
  • Far Beyond My Capacity
  • Far Beyond My Capacity
  • Far Beyond My Capacity
  • Far Beyond My Capacity
  • Far Beyond My Capacity
  • Far Beyond My Capacity
  • Far Beyond My Capacity
  • Far Beyond My Capacity
  • Far Beyond My Capacity

Saturday, April 28, 2012

A new bit of kit

Leave a Comment
My latest piece of kit arrived yesterday. I had decided to upgrade my monitor last week, but the choice on offer and lack of really good buying advice available meant that it took me a while to make my decision. My old monitor was a good one (a Dell 20" widescreen at 1680x1050 resolution), but I had owned it for a few years and wanted to upgrade to a bigger screen.
Shiny!
My criteria were pretty simple. I wanted a 24" screen for gaming, that had a minimum resolution of 1920x1080 (i.e. full HD). It had to have a good response time and if possible have built-in speakers to make the most of my limited desk space. Additionally, I only had a budget of £150.

The variety and number of choices in those criteria was a little overwhelming, but after quite a bit of research I plumped for the Asus VE248H. A lot of people had good things to say about Asus monitors, plus I remain impressed with their EEE Transformer tablet computer. This monitor gave me everything I wanted, plus I managed to find it for £145 here (the price has already gone up, but remains substantially below the normal price).

So, now I have the monitor how am I getting on with it? It was easy to set up (simply plug and play) and I'm really happy with it. I had to adjust the brightness a little from the out-of-the-box settings, and the various pre-sets are easy to use. The speakers are good (for monitor speakers that is - they do the job), but as I normally use headphones I wasn't after anything too special in that regard.

Bigger is better!

The screen is a lot bigger than I am used to, but the effect when playing games such as The Old Republic is so much more immersive. The colours really pop out and the world seems more vibrant. I'd read of a few ghosting issues with these monitors, but it's not something I am suffering from at all. I'm really happy with my new purchase!

I've updated my SWTOR UI to work with the new resolution, and you can grab it from ChewUI.com here.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...