• Far Beyond My Capacity
  • Far Beyond My Capacity
  • Far Beyond My Capacity
  • Far Beyond My Capacity
  • Far Beyond My Capacity
  • Far Beyond My Capacity
  • Far Beyond My Capacity
  • Far Beyond My Capacity
  • Far Beyond My Capacity
  • Far Beyond My Capacity
  • Far Beyond My Capacity
  • Far Beyond My Capacity
  • Far Beyond My Capacity
  • Far Beyond My Capacity
  • Far Beyond My Capacity
  • Far Beyond My Capacity
  • Far Beyond My Capacity
  • Far Beyond My Capacity

Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Datacron Hunting

Leave a Comment
I'm enjoying hunting down the Datacrons in Star Wars The Old Republic. These repositories of ancient lore are hidden in out of the way places on all the planets, encouraging exploration. Discovering a Datacron results in a permanent stat boost for your character (the actual stat depends on the colour of the Datacron found), and once you have collected several of them you can combine them at the matrix assembly to create the highest quality modifications for your equipment.

The colours of Datacron available are:
  • Red- Strength
  • Green - Endurance
  • White - Aim
  • Purple - Willpower
  • Orange - Presence
  • Yellow - Cunning

So far I have managed to find all three Datacrons on Ord Mantell and one on Coruscant. I am trying to find them all myself without resorting to spoiler sites, as I enjoy the exploration and puzzle-solving aspects they bring to the game.

Locating a Datacron isn't always that difficult, but reaching them often is. On Ord Mantell they were tucked away off the beaten path and required exploration to find (just following your quests would not bring you to them). They were generally pretty easy to get to on the starter planet, and sometimes guarded by Elite mobs.

As you progress through the game however the Datacrons become harder and harder to access. I'm only on Coruscant (the second planet you visit as a Republic character) and they are already becoming tricky. The one I found last night was deep in Black Sun territory, in Graffiti Square, and took me around 30 minutes to reach once I had actually seen it.

It was located high up on a platform. If I hadn't been looking up I might not even have seen it, and even when I did it took me a good while to find the route to it, which involved jumping up crates and leaping across broken pipes and platforms (and the associated falling off into groups of Black Sun members who seemed intent on introducing me to their blasters).

I recorded my efforts and made a short video which you can find embedded below, to show you the kind of thing that is already involved in reaching the Datacrons. I've edited out all my searching, falling and dead-end explorations of the route so you don't have to watch me blundering about!


I'm now more determined than ever to find all the Datacrons - without resorting to spoilers!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...