• Far Beyond My Capacity
  • Far Beyond My Capacity
  • Far Beyond My Capacity
  • Far Beyond My Capacity
  • Far Beyond My Capacity
  • Far Beyond My Capacity
  • Far Beyond My Capacity
  • Far Beyond My Capacity
  • Far Beyond My Capacity
  • Far Beyond My Capacity
  • Far Beyond My Capacity
  • Far Beyond My Capacity
  • Far Beyond My Capacity
  • Far Beyond My Capacity
  • Far Beyond My Capacity
  • Far Beyond My Capacity
  • Far Beyond My Capacity
  • Far Beyond My Capacity

Tuesday, December 27, 2011

2012 and beyond

Leave a Comment
Last year I closed out 2010 with a post looking forwards to what we can expect from 2011, along with a few predictions. I thought I'd do the same and also that it might be fun to see how accurate my predictions for this year were. Here's what I had to say 12 months ago...

  • 2011 will bring disappointment for Guild Wars 2 fans when the game is pushed back to 2012
  • 2011 will make fantasy cool again as HBOs adaptation of A Game of Thrones becomes the best thing on tv
  • Nintendo will surprise everyone and announce the Wii2 in 2011
  • 3D (movies, tv, and games) will continue to be a big steaming pile of disappointment throughout the year
  • Wolverhampton Wanderers will avoid relegation and survive another season in the English Premier League (ok, that may be more wishful thinking than anything!)
  • 2011 will bring lots of sleepless nights and less gaming time as my wife and I are expecting our second baby at the end of June

So, how did I do?

Well, my hit rate was actually pretty good!

Guild Wars 2 will indeed not see the light of day in 2011, Game of Thrones ruled tv drama, Nintendo did surprise everyone and almost announced the Wii 2 (they actually announced it's successor, the Wii U).

It's subjective I know, by 3D cinema continued to disappoint, Wolves did actually defy the odds and avoid relegation from the English Premier League (by the skin of their teeth), and my wife gave birth to a beautiful baby girl.

So, I'm claiming a 100% hit rate with my predictions (though a couple of them were rather subjective). It will be interesting to see if I can maintain that next year. I'll make a few predictions for 2012 at the end of the post. First up though, lets have a look at what will be taking my attention in 2012.

On the gaming front obviously I'll be spending a great deal of my time playing The Old Republic. I loved the beta testing I did, plus it's a new MMO with a new guild. It will be taking up most of my time. There are some other games coming down the track I am interested in though.

The major one is Mass Effect 3, which will finally finish Shepard's story and decide the fate of the galaxy as the Reaper invasion begins. Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning hits first though, in February. If the game gets good reviews this could be a great single-player RPG. Let's hope it lives up to the promise of Ken Rolston and RA Salvatore being the minds behind it.

ArcheAge and The Secret World are another couple of MMOs I'm interested in that may well arrive in 2012 if we are lucky. I have concerns about both of them (the more I see of TSW the less interested I become, and ArcheAge may be just a bit too Korean and a bit too sandbox-y for my tastes), but I'll withhold judgement and see what my friends think.

On TV we have new seasons of Game of Thrones and Sherlock to look forwards to. I don't watch too much tv but that's enough to keep me happy. As far as movies go I'm looking forwards to The Dark Knight Rises and The Avengers (not so keen on the Marvel movies, but with Joss Whedon scripting and directing it could be special).

  • Right, let's have a few fun predictions for 2012...
  • Guild Wars 2 will still not launch this year and be pushed back to 2013
  • Wolves will continue to defy the odds and survive another year in the EPL, this time finishing higher than 15th place
  • The X-Box 720 will be formally announced, maybe at E3
  • Windows 8 will debut to poor reviews
  • George RR Martin will announce the release date of his latest book in the Song of Ice and Fire series

ok, that last one might just be a little too far fetched!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...