• Far Beyond My Capacity
  • Far Beyond My Capacity
  • Far Beyond My Capacity
  • Far Beyond My Capacity
  • Far Beyond My Capacity
  • Far Beyond My Capacity
  • Far Beyond My Capacity
  • Far Beyond My Capacity
  • Far Beyond My Capacity
  • Far Beyond My Capacity
  • Far Beyond My Capacity
  • Far Beyond My Capacity
  • Far Beyond My Capacity
  • Far Beyond My Capacity
  • Far Beyond My Capacity
  • Far Beyond My Capacity
  • Far Beyond My Capacity
  • Far Beyond My Capacity

Friday, October 21, 2011

Grinding the News

Leave a Comment
I finally finished Deus Ex this week. I really enjoyed the game, though I found the various endings a little disappointing in that there did not seem to be anywhere near as much real choice or consequence compared to the original. As I said in my review, the gameplay itself was sublime however (apart from those pesky boss fights).

I've been continuing my time in EQ2, and hooked up with Adurj again this week. We decided to run through the White Dragonscale Cloak heritage quest as neither of us had completed it before. Things went well to start with, but then we hit a huge faction grind that would require us to kill thousands of faction mobs. I thought EQ2 (and most modern MMOs in general) had done away with this sort of thing, but apparently not. It killed the quest for us, and I'm not sure if I will complete it now. A real shame.

A few gaming-related nuggets have caught my eyes this week that are worth pointing out.

First up Massively have a great interview with the original creators of Everquest up on their site. It's a nice read and contains a few things I'd forgotten about (I'd completely erased from my memory that when you meditated in early EQ you ended up staring at a blank screen and couldn't see a thing!). It would be real interesting to get a look at that original design document they discuss, and perhaps we will if their comments are anything to go by.

Bioware have announced there will be a Mass Effect 3 demo available in the new year. What a great way to celebrate 2012! The demo will include both single-player and multiplayer sections. Looking forwards to playing when I should be taking down the decorations.

The winners of the Golden Joystick Awards have been announced and it's great to see PC titles dominating (almost all the winners are PC exclusives or look best on PC). Portal 2 won the ultimate game of the year award, and I'm not going to argue with that. I loved it. A worthy winner. World of Warcraft won best MMOG, but I think it will have some real competition next year at last ;)

A press embargo dropped on Star Wars The Old Republic this week, covering the first 20 or so levels on the Galactic republic side. You can find a full list of the articles here, along with a summary of each. The feedback is generally on the positive side, but all of the reviews seem to be playing things a bit safe, with none of them really making a stand either way or discussing game systems in any detail, and many are using the same old "wow in space" trope that is getting real boring now. I think I'll content myself with the leaked reviews from real beta players, almost all of which are overwhelmingly positive.

Finally Bioware released a rather odd video with today's Friday Update, but one that I was still interested in. It's an unboxing of the  Collector's Edition of the game, showing everything you get including previews of all the digital in-game items. I've pre-ordered the CE already, so it was nice to get a quick preview. Check the embed below.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...