• Far Beyond My Capacity
  • Far Beyond My Capacity
  • Far Beyond My Capacity
  • Far Beyond My Capacity
  • Far Beyond My Capacity
  • Far Beyond My Capacity
  • Far Beyond My Capacity
  • Far Beyond My Capacity
  • Far Beyond My Capacity
  • Far Beyond My Capacity
  • Far Beyond My Capacity
  • Far Beyond My Capacity
  • Far Beyond My Capacity
  • Far Beyond My Capacity
  • Far Beyond My Capacity
  • Far Beyond My Capacity
  • Far Beyond My Capacity
  • Far Beyond My Capacity

Tuesday, August 23, 2011

The Wall of Crazy

Leave a Comment
If you've been following the development of Star Wars The Old Republic then it's possible that you may have heard the devs refer to The Wall of Crazy. Whether or not this is a real or metaphorical wall isn't really important, it's more what the term represents.

A big crazy wall, yesterday.

I'll let Damion Schubert, Lead Systems Designer, explain with this quote taken from his interview with torwars.com on 28th April 2011
"I have next to my desk what I call “The Wall of Crazy”... And being Lead System Designer it is basically the backlog of features we’d like to put in before ship, shortly after ship; in the patch process, in the expansion pack. Trying to figure out where and when we slot those in... I will tell you that everything you just said is on the “Wall of Crazy.” We have definite interest in getting those in. None of those things are in the game today. Like, in the Beta people are playing right now. Extrapolate from that what you will."
Since this first mention of the Wall the term has taken on a life of it's own within the TOR community and is often now used as shorthand for features that the developers have confirmed they would like to get into the game (via post-launch patches or expansions) but will be unlikely to be included in time for launch.

In other words, the Wall of Crazy allows us to see what form the post-launch content plans for the game are likely to take.

All pay-to-play MMOs make the vast majority of their profit from on-going subscriptions rather than box sales, and so they normally have an post-launch patch cycle that constantly adds new content to the game. By telling us what is on their Wall of Crazy we get a good idea of what new content will be added to the game once it has launched.

So, here is a list of all the things that have been confirmed by the developers themselves as being on the Wall. You will find lots of other items mentioned in various forums and online communities, but as none of those have been confirmed by the devs themselves I haven't included them here.

At the time of writing the Wall of Crazy includes:
  • guild capital ships (source)
  • interior ship decorating (source)
  • full 3D space game and space pvp (source)
  • dejarik, pazaak and swoop racing - minigames (source)
  • barbershop (able to change character appearance) (source)
  • smartphone app for crafters (source)
  • able to see/chat to friends on other servers (source)
  • guild advancement system (source)
  • tools for roleplayers (source)
  • animal mounts (source)
Seems there is some exciting stuff to look forwards to!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...