First of all the initial embargo on the recent SWTOUR event has been lifted. This event was hosted at Bioware Austin, and saw many of the major fan-sites invited over to sit down and play the game for two full days straight. The impressions overall have been very positive indeed.
You can read the full impressions of the various fan-sites that attended by clicking the links below (there were a few other, non-English sites invited along too). Be warned, there is a lot to read!
- Corellian Run Radio
- Darth Hater
- Mos Eisley Radio
- Ask A Jedi
- TOR Syndicate
- SWTOR UK
- SWTOR Life
A few of the things I've taken away from the event are that the story-based gameplay is fantastic, and the combat, whilst not a revolution in MMO terms is solid and entertaining. Other tidbits of information that were new to me were that auction houses are confirmed (they are called Galactic Market Kiosks), mailboxes are in game, weapons and armour have an enhancement system, and companions can be given gifts to improve their affection rating (much like in Dragon Age: Origins).
One new system that was described that I really like is an optional colour-matching system for armour. If enabled this alters the colour of all your armour to match the colour of your chest piece, giving a more unified character appearance. Nice touch!
The second part of the embargo will be lifted next week and will cover the PvP systems in the game. A few tweets have already sneaked out from the event however, which I've posted below as teasers:
- GuildUMBRA - I love the PVP in #swtor - you all are going to be so happy #SWTOUR
- Ulathar Jens Weber - Just played some PvP in #swtor So much fun! #SWTOUR
- Ask A Jedi - This is not one-shot kill bunny hop PvP folks... Strategy and tactics rule the day! #SWTOUR
- Mos Eisley Radio - Unbiasedly, unarguably, unequivocally the best PvP experience EVER! #SWTOUR
- TORWars - Hot imperial on republic action - it's PVP day at BioWare. Very intense, very cool, innovative and balanced.
The other updates this week were official updates on the main SWTOR site. There is a very interesting write up on the design of the UI, that whilst not revealing much about the game itself is an interesting behind-the-scenes type article.
|The default SWTOR UI|