• Far Beyond My Capacity
  • Far Beyond My Capacity
  • Far Beyond My Capacity
  • Far Beyond My Capacity
  • Far Beyond My Capacity
  • Far Beyond My Capacity
  • Far Beyond My Capacity
  • Far Beyond My Capacity
  • Far Beyond My Capacity
  • Far Beyond My Capacity
  • Far Beyond My Capacity
  • Far Beyond My Capacity
  • Far Beyond My Capacity
  • Far Beyond My Capacity
  • Far Beyond My Capacity
  • Far Beyond My Capacity
  • Far Beyond My Capacity
  • Far Beyond My Capacity

Wednesday, April 27, 2011

F-U Sony!

Leave a Comment
It's been all over the news, so I'm sure you will all now be aware that Sony have officially stated that the recent Playstation Network downtime was due to a massive hacking of their database.

That's up to 77 million accounts hacked worldwide (around 3 million in the UK)!

The data stolen includes
  • Name
  • Address
  • Country
  • E-mail address
  • Date of birth
  • PSN passwords and login
  • PSN online ID

and possibly also purchasing history, billing address, credit card info and profile info.

You can read their full facepalm apology here.

Ok, so even taking into account the fact that the world's largest technology company has allowed this hack to take place due to poor security and unencrypted data, the big question has to be WHY THE HELL HAS IT TAKEN SONY SIX DAYS TO INFORM THEIR CUSTOMERS THAT THEIR PERSONAL DATA, INCLUDING CREDIT CARD INFORMATION, HAS BEEN COMPROMISED?

We should not be finding this information out from friends, twitter and facebook Sony!

Well, the PSN is still down so I'm unable to log in and change my account details. Luckily I use Lastpass to ensure that all my passwords are randomly generated and different, but many others who use the same password on multiple sites will need to go change them all.

Looks like my credit card account is ok so far, but I'm going to go ahead and get my card replaced anyway. 77 million card details will be worth a lot of money to someone!

Sony will find the hardest part in all this is regaining the trust of their customers. Many won't want to resubmit card details back into the PSN, and I can understand why. Let's hope their PR and tech departments pull their socks up bloody quickly!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...